Monday, September 3, 2012

Flightless Bird, American Mouth

I challenged myself for this piece by following a prompt that asked me to compose a poem backwards. This poem was quite a challenge. Ultimately the way I did it was write a poem, then reconstruct it roughly backwards (though I've obviously taken some license with the phrasing so that it makes SOME sense when read this way).

I'd REALLY love some critique on the piece:
1) Title - I've tried to come up with a title that signals to the reader that the chronology of the piece is backwards, but I'm not sure I've managed it. All advice to this effect would be IMMENSELY helpful.
2) How much sense does the piece make as it is? Do you like it as is, or does it still feel like it should take place in the other direction?
3) Punctuation: Do you like it? Does it work?

"End to Beginning, Lived Life"

Christ.)

to the dying of the light
and to Hades to pay my respects
my solemn flightless way
make I ,Ophelia and Virginia Woolf

.the sea to the lifeblood
mountain stream ,followed I the path
that burnt had been ,cold and clean

,to Georgia ,lonely and looking
at my own wingless bird-back
,bore I myself as a pilgrim

.(shuffle I may my Merlin feet
,but never still will I be 

No comments:

Post a Comment