Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Cold Mountain, North Carolina

So yeah. Not much to say about this one. Not as happy with it as the others, but I still like it. Any comments appreciated :)

"Cold Mountain: the Madonna's Many-Colored Cloak"

Motherly, she is.

Just before dawn she lies
soft, gray and pink,
an elegant contour
of earth against sky.

She grows to noon
when she sits
straight-backed and proud -
a Catholic grandmother at mass
in her starched green dress
with pine-needle lace.

Humble me, Lady.
I lay myself flat
against your stone
and spin with you for a while.

At dusk I leave her again.
She sighs, raw and imperious
in robes of purple and gold.
Her face falls first
into its familiar wrinkles,
then drifts quietly into twilight blue.

I love her slopes best
on damp mornings
from a distance.
The clouds pour like milk
over her shoulders.

No comments:

Post a Comment