Monday, April 16, 2012

June Flowers

WOW I actually got this poem done EARLY today. Probably because I am trying to put off work on this final essay. *sigh* NaPoWriMo day 16!!!

Based this piece off the LOVELY photograph:
http://browse.deviantart.com/photography/people/expressive/?order=9&offset=24#/d23klyf

I'm not sure what I think of the piece. So much of what I've been writing lately feels like bits and pieces of something bigger. Hmm. Perhaps for my final day I shall take all my scraps and fit them together?

Anyway, written for the topic "June flowers" for my 100 Poem Project. Check out some June flowers from my part of the world here: http://www.exploreasheville.com/seasonal-fun/spring/flower-bloom-schedule/ (click on the reddish "June" button just below the description.)

"Losing my Head for the Summer"

I am wildflower,
a flame azalea drawing
its roots up from the asphalt -
an ox-eyed daisy,
ox-blood and whirling,
hair like the tops of cogon grass
caught in a
westward wind.

My head will come back to me
in September,
chased by the tornadoes
from across the Plains;
it will catch me up in time
for hurricane season

when I will don my hat again
to keep my head from spinning
and to ward off further freckling.

No comments:

Post a Comment