Saturday, April 14, 2012

Particle Physics

Helen's Bridge in Asheville is said to be haunted by a woman who hung herself from the bridge after losing her daughter in a fire. Apparently she is still looking for her daughter. If you wish to summon her, you must say "Helen, come forth" three times while sitting beneath her bridge. Those who do so say that their cars refuse to start after the fact, and some claim they have captured this ghostly lady on film.

I don't care, I was just intrigued into writing a poem about it :)



I was trying to work in some particle physics imagery; not sure how much I like it/how well it works. Thoughts appreciated.

"Helen's Bridge"

Helen, come forth.

You never went as far as Greece.
Hell, you never left the mountains.
I found myself drawn to the road
that runs beneath your bridge,
my fear like an electric charge
dragging me in ever smaller circles to you.

I should tell you:
I am afraid of heights. The thought
of a single length of rope suspended from the bridge
as all that keeps me from crashing against the asphalt below
makes me shiver.
I am not your daughter. Do not take me with you.
Perhaps I may discharge the energy that keeps us bound
with burning sage, a respectful nod and
a quartz crystal thrown into the ravine.
May it fill your gaping heart hole and
let me go.

Helen, come forth.

But I cannot chart your wave and function—
I may never know the time and place of you
at the same time.
I dread you following me home,
looking over my shoulder in the mirror
like a particle seeking its mate.
We are opposites, and were I to
press my fingers to the glass
we would evaporate in a flash of light.

I will not summon you,
I will be careful to only ever
speak your name twice, and beg you
to let my car start up again normally,
let my headlights lead me faithfully home.

Sweet lady who will never see Troy: rest in peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment